So its been more than 2 weeks since reports about expansion in college football started to come out and I posted that Missouri would most likely bolt for the Big 10 if given the opportunity. Yesterday reports came out that the Big 10 officially invited Missouri and Nebraska. Neither team has accepted or declined the invite at this point. I'm not sure what Nebraska is going to do yet. Tom Osborne has come out and said they wish to remain in the Big 12 but there is another piece to the equation now.
I also suggested a senario where the SEC invited some of the Big 12 South teams to their conference and realigned the divisions to make one heck of a power conference. Well just the other day the Pac 10 actually did just that. The Pac 10 announced that it is interested in having 6 teams from the Big 12 join their conference. The Big Pac 16. OU, OSU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Teach, and Colorado would join Arizona and Arizona St. in an East division, while the remaining current member of the Pac 10 would create a West division.
I've never been a huge Pac 10 fan, but I have to say it does make sense. It definitely gets more exposure for the Oklahoma and Texas teams to larger TV markets like Los Angeles, Phoenix, Seattle, Denver, etc..., which results in higher revenues for each school. Even the possibility of revenue sharing if they land a conference TV network like the Big 10 has.
I wonder if this would send the BCS into a tailspin (I can only hope) and make a stronger push toward some kind of playoff scenario. Good luck figuring out the bowl game affilations though. Would be a crap shoot.
I'm assuming Nebraska's move will have a lot to do with the result of the Pac 10 invitation. Again, I'd hate to see OU lose the Nebraska rivalry, but maybe a yearly non conference game could be arranged. If this thing does go down, and OU and Nebraska reinstate their annual rivalry, OU could wind up having one of the toughest schedules in the country every year. That means they would be playing the current Big 12 South minus Baylor, Nebraska, Arizona (has been a consistent 8 win team lately) and Arizona St. (10 wins last year), and one or two other teams from the current Pac 10 (USC, Oregon, UCLA, Cal, etc...). Not to mention in the coming seasons OU has already established home-and-home games with FSU, Notre Dame, LSU, and Tennessee. Wow.
Can't wait to see what happens next...
No comments:
Post a Comment