Sunday, July 28, 2013

Weekend Exploring

This weekend, Jordan and I sort of wandered around OKC and discovered a few things/places we hadn't really seen before.  Actually, before we did that we battled Ticketmaster Saturday morning trying to get tickets to see Pearl Jam in November.  Apparently the scalpers and resellers bought up all the tickets before hand so we were never able to get any tickets to pull up.  We tried for 45 minutes.  I saw some people were finally able to get tickets under "Best Available" but they were all in the 300 section of the arena.  Ridiculous.  I'm so sick of Ticketmaster.  We finally went through Stubhub (which I hate equally as much) and secured good seats.

So after that, we went to lunch downtown and then decided to just drive around a bit.  News came out a few days ago that another tower is going up downtown soon, but it will mean the demise (finally) of the Stage Center.  I drove over there to show Jordan where it was going to be and we ended up noticing how a lot of the road work downtown is actually complete.  There's even some bike lanes now (look out Portland!).  We continued on Walker down to Midtown.  (Oh, apparently OKC is one of those cities now that has a cool name for each little section of town.  I guess it's probably always been called that but I hear it all the time now).  There's a lot of cool new places down there, mostly restaurants looks like.  And it has a tiny roundabout like Paris or Rome.  But really not at all like Paris or Rome.

After that we went over to Western and took it south of I-40 to check out the new outdoor music venue that just opened up last week.  It's at the old Downtown Airpark just south of the river.  The venue is called...Downtown Airpark.  The first show was a few days ago and had Sublime as the headliner.  We are going to see The Lumineers there in October.  Well, technically Jordan asked if I would go see them with her and I said yes.  I definitely want to check out the venue though.  After we passed that, we decided to go check out the Boathouse District.  We have heard a lot about it, and we've gone to the boathouse at Lake Overholser, but the one downtown has a lot more to do.

You can go down there and rent kayaks, dragon boats, pedal jeeps, stand up paddle boards, long boards, and bikes.  They also recently added the Sky Trail, which is basically several different levels of a rope course 80 feet in the air.  Once you get to the top, you can either take a giant looping slide down, or strap in and free fall over the side.  I took a few pics.  There's a also a lot of things for kids over there like a short zip line and rock wall.  Apparently this year they are also supposed to open a longer 700 foot zip line that goes over the river.  Sounds pretty cool.




Today, we actually went kayaking at Lake Overholser for the first time.  We finally got the hang of it and it was a lot of fun.  Probably need a little more sun screen next time but we will definitely go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment