Sunday, July 28, 2013

Rock for Oklahoma Concert Review

Ok, this isn't really a concert review, but I couldn't name it the same thing as the last post.  The show was pretty good, we missed all the local bands from ACM but it started at 5:30pm I think.  We were able to hear Built To Spill, Jackson Browne, The Flaming Lips, and Kings of Leon.  I had never really heard Built to Spill but I kinda liked their sound.  Plus they played a couple cool covers from Blue Oyster Cult and The Smiths.  Also, one of the local Oklahoma bands that I kinda like called Junebug Spade is going on tour with them.

Jackson Browne was good as you might expect.  Each time he played a song, Jordan pretty much knew which scene it was played during in its respective movie.  Next to Kings of Leon, I'd say Jackson Browne was received the best by the crowd.

The Flaming Lips on the other hand, probably felt like they were playing to someone else's crowd.  I don't think the sober Tuesday night audience is the target market for the Lips.  On top of that, they didn't seem to play any of their more popular songs.  I don't pretend to be a huge Flaming Lips fan, but Jordan usually likes them and she even felt a little disappointed with the song selection.  The stage show though, was impressive as you might expect.  And I totally see the appeal to anyone under the influence of drugs, because I almost felt a little spacey just form watching.  Here's a little pic I took with the phone.


Kings of Leon was awesome as usual.  It was our third time to see them live and they haven't disappointed yet.  We will probably go see them again too.  They came out on stage to "Boomer Sooner" and played for a little over an hour, so not quite a full set.  But it seemed like they were having a lot of fun and appeared to be making up the set list as they went.  Almost looked like my band sometimes on stage, going up to each other in between songs as if to say "what do you want to play next?"

Overall, it was a good time.  Can't wait for the next show.

No comments:

Post a Comment