Sunday, October 10, 2010

Older and Not Necessarily Wiser

So today I turned 29 years old.  Jordan did everything she could to make this a fun birthday weekend for me, but it didn't come without some reminders.  Reminders of what, you ask ?  Reminders that I'm not 18 anymore. 

Yesterday was the annual Yukon alumni baseball game and home run derby.  I wasn't real sure that I was going to participate this year but after some thinking I decided I would head up to the field Saturday morning.  More than anything I was curious to see if I could still hit the ball over the fence.  I hit a few in my high school days so I knew it could be done.  I had played in the alumni game the last few years but never hit in the derby.  Well, that last statement will still be true at next year's game.  I didn't quite make it to the home run derby.  In fact, in my estimation, I was about 415 feet short of making it to the derby.  How do I know this?  Because, on the way up to the field, my car gets stuck right behind the right field wall....in gravel.  Yep.  Everyone gets stuck in some gravel every now and then, right?  (Please just say yes).  I only wish I had a picture of this to show you, because it was impressive.  And ridiculous.  Who gets stuck in gravel?  Come on BMW, you don't have gravel in Germany?  In my defense it was very loose.  Someone had basically just dumped it and never rolled it out.  It took a few guys with shovels and some planks of wood, but a half hour later I was out.  But too late for the derby.  Crap!

At least I'd stick around and play in the game.  Well...sorta.  I did get to hit once.  Swung at two fastballs, late I might add.  And then popped up a slider to the 1st baseman.  Hardly an impressive at bat.  Then in the field I was playing 3rd base for some reason.  Without a cup.  Highly NOT recommended.  Anyway, the last time I played 3rd base I think I was 14.  So in the 2nd inning I get a pretty good shot hit to me but it takes an odd hop.  I pull my glove up a bit and the ball hits my right thumb under the nail.  Great.  Now my thumb is bleeding and I can't tell if the nail it split or not.  Who invited Roger Dorn?  No call up to the Minors for me today.  I end up going to the clinic to get X-rays.  Not broken but it is definitely purple and swollen. 




On the plus side, they finally put our State Champion banners back up at the field.  Not sure why they ever took them down.  You would think a school would want to have as many up as possible.



So, again the moral of this story is, I'm not 18 anymore.  Oh, and wear a cup if you're going to play 3rd base.  But don't play 3rd base when you're 29 years old unless you're getting paid to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment