Sunday, April 3, 2011

Jordan's Grandpa

For those of you who asked about Jordan's grandpa's picture and wondered if we just happened to stumble onto it while walking around in the Switzer Center (Mom), the answer is no.  While looking through some boxes a few months ago, we came across some scrapbooks and other really cool items that belonged to her grandpa.  One of these items was a document stating that her grandpa, Orville Tuttle, was assistant coach for OU football in 1950, the year of their first national championship under Bud Wilkinson. 



We went to the Switzer Center at OU to see if there was any other information about him, because its been difficult to find him linked to this team (other than this certificate).  We do know he definitely did coach for OU though.  He also played professionally for the NY Giants before it was called the NFL.  Jordan's mom has his championship ring from 1938 when the Giants beat the Green Bay Packers.  He was selected to the Pro Bowl in both 1938 and 1939 at offensive guard.  Feel free to look him up just don't believe that he played for OSU because he did not....they have it wrong.  He played at Phillips Univ and OCU.

      

2 comments:

  1. I googled Orville Tuttle and OU football, and I find a book called The Oklahoma Football Encyclopdia and Orville is mentioned on page 78 of the book. Apparently you can only view it once, I tried to go back and read the whole page and it tells me I'd reached my limit for viewing the book. I guess that means they want you to buy it!!

    ReplyDelete