Friday, March 12, 2010

I didn't think I was claustrophobic.....

I even kind of prided myself that I wasn't going to freak out when I went to get my MRI on Thursday.  I had a neurologist appointment on Tuesday for migrane headaches that I have had on and off for 3 1/2 years now.  This was my 6th doctors appt for it so I was hoping this guy would be the guy to finally get it right.  We will see.  I wish House was a real Dr!  His main focus seemed to be on the facial nerve pain I have been experiencing.  He did a very thorough neurological exam which I can only describe as the hardest sobriety test imaginable.  You know walk in a straight line and touch my nose then touch your nose kind of thing.  He had a very thick accent so I'm not totally sure I caught all he was saying but he wanted me to get a MRI brain scan in the MRI pictured above called  a 3T. 

Yesterday, I am sitting in the lobby reading about it and the pamphlet says that the magnet that picks up junk cars at a junk yard is 1.5T and I was about to go into a magnet 60,000 times stronger.  Hmmm.   So it is finally my time to go back and get in this thing.  Looks normal this should be fine.  Then she puts ear plugs in my ears, and giant headphones on that I could land a plane in.  I lay back and she proceeds to put what I can only describe as a catcher's face mask over my face and then the fun begins.  She starts sending me into the tube which now I begin to realize is about an inch away from my catcher's mask and she doesnt stop until I assume was my thighs.  There was no seeing out anywhere.  Smaller than a coffin and the nurse has now started playing KLOVE in my headphones...awesome.   She begins the MRI which is so loud that it drowns out the Creed or Christian version of John Mayer thankfully.  It sounds like fire alarm sirens  but the beat changes so you try to make songs out of it to stay calm.....20 mins later it stops and nothing is happening...panic sets in and I want out now please....sirens start up again and I can actually feel the magnet making my blood pulse in rythm with the alarms.  I can feel it literally scanning my brain.  I'm finally out after 30 minutes.  I am ready to see my photo shoot.  Looks like brain.....thats good I guess.  I then ask to take a picture of the torture chamber so I could show my husband.  He will not believe me and assume I am being over dramatic I'm sure.  She allowed me to stand outside the door and take this picture but if I took another step it would ruin my phone.  Nice catch nurse.  Thank you.  Don't ask me what they saw...I'm sure that is another charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment